Divorce - what about the children?

Divorce – What about the children?

When a relationship breaks down the people often who it can affect most is your children. Whilst you may be trying to do everything you can to protect them, they will sense how you are feeling. One of the most important behaviours is, ensuring you talk positively about the other parent in front of them and enable your child to have a relationship with both parents.

Unfortunately, there are times when despite parents trying to reach a resolution, there is no other alternative but to get the help of the court. There are several orders the children can make in relation to children:

  • Child arrangements order
  • Specific issue order
  • Prohibited steps order

What is a child arrangements order?

A child arrangements order (CAO) is an order that regulates arrangements for a child that relate to any of the following; with whom the child is to live, spend time or otherwise have contact and/or when the child is to live, spend time or otherwise have contact with any person

Contact simply means the time that a child spends with an adult. There are several ways that contact may take place:

  • direct contact between the child and the person named in the order
  • overnight staying contact
  • supervised contact, and
  • indirect contact through letters or cards

A CAO may provide for the child to live with one parent only or it may provide for the child to share their time between both parents.

What is a specific issue order?

 A specific issue order determines a particular question in connection with a child. It can be used to resolve issues about a child’s upbringing, such as where the child should go school (e.g. state or private), whether they should receive religious instruction or whether they should have a particular form of medical treatment.

What is a prohibited steps orders?

A prohibited steps order imposes a restriction on a parent or other holder of parental responsibility that prevents them from doing something without consent of the court. They may be used, for example, to prevent a change of a child’s name or to prevent a parent from taking a child abroad.

If you would like to find out more or having difficulties agreeing to specific arrangements for your children, then please do not hesitate to contact us on 01279 466910 or email info@watson-legal.com to book your FREE 30 minute consultation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *